Sunday, June 22, 2008

First trip to Fonda Speedway 6/21

A few of us from the "pound" made the trip up to the Fonda Speedway on Saturday Night for the "Go Green NMX Fonda Thunder Series".....For myself and a friend, it was our first time there....You have to love going to a "new track" for the first time, you get that feeling of the "unexpected", it's always great to add another track to the "list"....I have to say, I thought the Fonda Speedway and facility was pretty darn cool....I haven't sat under a covered grandstand in a long time at a race track, and a friend I met (Yo, golape22) hooked us up with some "primo" seats....A VERY BIG crowd was on hand for this show and I'm sure they weren't disappointed, as all of us LOVED the show....I fianlly got to try these Pizza Logs I've been hearing about for so long, and they lived up to the expectations, as they were very good....Food at the place, overall was good and the price for everything was decent....One thing about Fonda, once your in, YOUR IN, as they don't have any kind of re-entry, for many fo us down here in Pa, we aren't used to that policy.

As for the action on the track, it was VERY GOOD....I've been to NY tracks in the past, and as for the surface, I kind of knew what to expect....Black, dry, slick is USUALLY the norm, as it was yesterday, but I'll tell you what, the racing was GREAT, as there was plenty of passing all night long, in all of the divisions, that's just what us race fans want to see....Fonda took a brief intermission to re-do the top of the track,water and run it it, and it worked GREAT....Pat Ward was on a rail, it was a 40 lap race and it went NON STOP, that's right, NON STOP, it was AWESOME....Bobby Varin (in the #00 they bought off of Spraker), Ronnie Johnson, Dave Camara, and Matty Delorenzo were all putting on a show.....Brett Hearn was in the Smith bros #74, he finished 6th and was the last one on the lead lap....One thing that brought back some memories for me, was the way Fonda's turn's 3 and 4 are set up, it reminded me of Flemington Speedway, just the way the guys throw it into turn 3, power off the bottom and just run under whoever is infront of you right through all the way out off turn 4, it was AWESOME, just the way I seen Billy Pauch Sr do it at Flemington on many Saturday nights, a track I LOVED.

A BIG THANK YOU goes out to the Fonda Speedway, they moved the show along quickly, and we were in the car, on our 4 and half our ride ride home by 8:45pm, THAT WAS GREAT....Overall, I'd give the trip to Fonda Speedway a HUGE 2 THUMBS UP....I wish it was about 2 hours closer, I'd be there every week.....If you have never been there, I'd HIGHLY recommend making the trip to this place, we weren't disappointed.....I hope to make a return visit "down the road", hopefully sooner rather than later.

No comments: